Registrations to volunteer in the 2018 Midsumma Festival, which runs from Sunday 14 January to Sunday 04 February 2018 are now open.
Midsumma Festival is a volunteer-fuelled organisation that wouldn't exist without the contribution from individuals within our community. Every volunteer is an ambassador for Midsumma Festival: enthusiastic, friendly, helpful and professional. If you'd like to volunteer, please check out the Volunteer Agreement below then head to Volunteer Registration to start the ball rolling.
We are seeking volunteers in the following areas:
- Usher & Information Provider
Many Midsumma events will require ushers to welcome visitors and provide information about events and venues.
- Midsumma Carnival
Midsumma Festival’s largest event, requiring volunteers in a diverse range of roles to make sure this exciting event runs smoothly.
- Team Leaders
Working closely with the Volunteers Coordinator, team leaders will be overseeing a group of volunteers across many events during the festival and will be integral to the smooth running of volunteer operations.
- Midsumma Pride March
Midsumma Festival's second largest event - the volunteers will manage the March route, collect donations and provide information.
- Bars and Hospitality
We run hospitality across various events in the festival and we need a crack team of canny volunteers to operate the bars for the festival.
- Production Support
Working closely with our Production Team you will be working behind the scenes to make sure our events run smoothly and on time.
- Bar and Hospitality
Midsumma Festival operates bars at Carnival, T Dance, Midsumma Pride March, launches and other events.
- Office & Project Administration
Periodically there will be a need for volunteers to assist with office administration, production planning and marketing and ticketing support.
If you are an experienced photographer, we have many opportunities for you to broaden your portfolio by taking photos for us across the festival.
1. What Midsumma Festival Agrees to Provide You
In order to enhance your experience, Midsumma Festival will:-
- Provide you with orientation and induction
- Ensure you have fun and meet people
- Provide you with a healthy and safe workplace
- Provide insurance coverage for you, whilst you are acting as a Midsumma Festival volunteer
- Define your roles and develop clear job descriptions
- Provide appropriate levels of support and management for you
- Ensure your work complements but does not undermine the work of core staff
- Respect you as a valuable team member
- Acknowledge and value your contributions
- Provide clear conflict resolution processes
- Extend an invitation to the festival wrap party
- Adhere to the guidelines set out by Volunteering Victoria
Midsumma Festival reserves the right to select the people who will best represent the organisation, and to assign people to particular roles and duties as felt appropriate.
2. Your rights as a Volunteer
- To be respected and treated as a co-worker and to not be exploited
- To have access to training sessions where appropriate and possible
- To have on-the-job supervision provided by a designated member of staff or Team Leader volunteer
- To have the necessary support and direction in order to carry out designated duties
- To be entitled to take breaks from their volunteer work, when appropriate
- To be able to contact the Volunteers Coordinator at any time during the festival with concerns, questions or indeed anything to do with being a part of the festival
3. In Order to Enhance the Festival, Volunteers Will:
- Start at the scheduled time, and be dressed and groomed appropriately
- Wear the festival t-shirt and accreditation when on-shift
- Be asked to carry out specific duties to the best of their ability
- Respect the authority of, and decisions made by, Midsumma CEO and staff
- Contribute to the continuous improvement of the festival
- Be honest and reliable
- Adhere to and follow policy, procedure and guidelines
- Not smoke or consume alcohol while in your festival t-shirt
We ask that you volunteer for one or both of Midsumma Carnival and/or Midsumma Pride March.
We request that volunteers are punctual. If an unforeseen situation arises whereby a volunteer will be late please contact the Volunteers Coordinator so other arrangements can be made.
If you are unable to attend your shift, please notify the Volunteers Coordinator as soon as possible so that a replacement can be organised.
All volunteers are representatives of Midsumma Festival, and as such must be professional, courteous and respectful to the public at all times.
3.4 Dress Code
Volunteers are supplied with the appropriate means of identification. This may take the form of a t-shirt and/or a lanyard. All volunteers are required to wear such items during the time of their shift. When not on shift these items must be removed or covered. Attire must be appropriate for the task you are undertaking, please refer to the shift brief for any specific requirements.
3.5 Drugs & Alcohol
The use of alcohol and drugs are prohibited whilst working your shift. Any volunteer found to be under the influence will be retired for the duration of the event and disciplinary action may be taken.
Occasionally volunteers will be privy to confidential information of the festival. Volunteers must not divulge this information to other parties under any circumstances, either during the term of volunteering or after ceasing as a volunteer.
3.7 No Remuneration
You agree that any work you perform for Midsumma Festival is on a voluntary, unpaid basis and you will not be entitled to any remuneration benefits however described.
3.8 Paid Employment
Volunteer work for Midsumma Festival is not a prerequisite for paid employment and volunteering does not guarantee a paid position.
Volunteers are not authorised to speak to the media on Midsumma Festival's behalf. Any requests by the media must be directed to the Midsumma Marketing Manager.
3.10 Conflict Resolution
Midsumma Festival is committed to resolving any conflict to the satisfaction of all parties. Please direct any conflicts to the Volunteers Coordinator in the first instance. If the conflict involves this person, please direct the issue to the Midsumma CEO. The issues, discussions and resolution achieved will be recorded in writing and a letter confirming the outcome of the meeting will be sent to all parties involved.
Sign on/off forms must be completed at the start and end of every shift at Midsumma Carnival and Midsumma Pride March, to aid us in accurately reporting on the person-hours required to produce the event. Volunteer hours are recorded for insurance purposes and to assist with the collection of statistical data in support of funding applications. Please ensure you complete a registration / time sheet.
Where the conduct or behaviour of a volunteer places the health or safety of another person at risk or results in any illegal activity, that volunteer's involvement in the festival may be immediately terminated by the Volunteers Coordinator or Midsumma Festival staff.
3.13 Privacy Statement
By registration, you agree to us collecting the personal information you provide. This information will generally be used solely by Midsumma Festival Inc. for the purposes of ensuring that we assign you to an appropriate volunteer position, for contacting you regarding events during the festival, and maintaining health and safety records for all volunteers. We may give this information to third parties, but only where we are required by law to do so or the information is needed for operational purposes. You have the right to request details, or amend any personal information that Midsumma Festival holds about you by contacting Midsumma Festival Inc. at any time.
3.14 Health & Safety
Midsumma Festival is committed to providing a safe working environment for all its volunteers and will provide relevant induction sessions in relation to event-specific health and safety issues. Volunteers are obligated to act responsibly with regards to health and safety as outlined in the Victorian Occupational Health and Safety Act 2004 and associated regulations. Midsumma Festival's Occupational Health & Safety Policy & Procedure are available on request, please contact the Volunteers Coordinator.
3.15 Recognition of Volunteer Dedication
Midsumma Festival thanks and acknowledges the contributions and achievements of our volunteers and recognises that the festival could not happen if not for your dedication and commitment. Midsumma Festival shows its appreciation by extending an invitation to attend the Midsumma Wrap Party for volunteers, artists and staff. The festival can provide all registered volunteers with a digital certificate of participation upon request.
Some roles undertaken by volunteers require by law a professional certification or compliance card. If you hold a Victorian Working With Children's Check, Responsible Service of Alcohol or First Aid Certificate, please provide a copy to us.
3.17 Other Terms and Conditions
Midsumma Festival has, and may introduce, a number of policies and procedures to assist it produce the festival, comply with its legal obligations and support those working for it. By signing this agreement, you agree to be bound by, and to comply with, these policies and procedures as amended from time to time.
Midsumma Festival welcomes volunteers of all ages, however if you are under 18 we will need to have a parent or guardian co-sign the Volunteer Agreement. Please download and fill in a PDF copy of the 2018 Volunteer Agreement, get a parent or guardian to sign it and email a scanned copy to Volunteers Coordinator Evan Lawson c/- [email protected].
Registrations to volunteer in the 2017 Midsumma Festival have now closed. Registrations to volunteer in the 2018 Midsumma Festival will open in October / November 2017. To stay in touch and find out about Summer Placements for 2018, subscribe to our eNews, which is issued periodically throughout the year.
If you would like to assist throughout the year in the Midsumma Office or with Midsumma Technology (website, social media, office network), we'd especially love to hear from you - you can phone us on 03 9296 6600 or email [email protected].
- Volunteer News #1: Welcome Midsumma Volunteers
- Volunteer News #2: Overview to shifts
- Volunteer News #3: Happy holidays | volunteer at Pride March for the best view in town
- Volunteer News #4: We're looking for Carnival Bar volunteers
- Volunteer News #5: Carnival briefing
- Volunteer News #6: Carnival checklist
- Volunteer News #7: Carnival thank you
- Volunteer News #8: See you at the Pride March Volunteer Briefing Session
- Volunteer News #9: See you at Midsumma Pride March, Sun 29 Jan!
- Volunteer News #10: thank you