Open call for submissions! Closing date 16 January 2019.
Is there someone within an LGBTQIA+ community to whom you are grateful?
As part of Queer Economies, you're invited to create and submit an artwork as a gift of gratitude, which will be exhibited at St Heliers Street Gallery, Abbotsford Convent, during the Midsumma Festival period.
Anyone can submit a gift, entry is free, and all artworks submitted will form part of the exhibition. At the conclusion of the show, a closing party will be held so that artworks may be gifted to the individuals they have been made for.
We encourage artists and non-artists alike to think creatively about who, or in honour of what, your gift may be for: whether for someone who has supported you through learning, care or love; or as a gesture of gratitude to a time, place or story within the past, present or future of queer world-making.
Queer Economies functions as an updated version of the 2014 Perimeter Editions publication Gifts from David McDiarmid, taking its cue from the handmade artworks and objects that queer artist and activist David McDiarmid gifted to friends and loved ones during his lifetime.
What you need to know about registering your gift:
- All artworks must be registered and received by Midsumma Festival, Ground Floor, 77 Southbank Boulevard, Southbank 3006 no later than Wednesday 16 January 2019. Please follow the link above to register.
- Submission entry is free. Submission entry is free. All artworks submitted must be maximum A3 cubed (42cm x 29.7cm x 29.7cm). Please note: Midsumma Festival reserves the right to exclude submissions which are offensive, discriminatory, or otherwise defamatory.
- You may nominate a recipient for your gift or alternatively we will re-gift your artwork to another exhibition participant. Artworks will be gifted in person at the closing party at St Heliers Street Gallery on Saturday 9 February 2019, 12-4pm, or by complimentary postage within Australia.
- Gifts will be exhibited at St Heliers Street Gallery, Abbotsford Convent from 21 January to 9 February 2019.
Read more about Queer Economies at Midsumma:
- Queer Economies at Abbotsford Convent
- Queer Economies at Bus Projects
- Queer Economies at the Centre for Contemporary Photography
Image: David McDiarmid, BEYOND BLOOD (verso), gifted to Sally Gray, October 1993. Plastic lenticular substrate, felt pen on board, metal frame. 13cm x 18cm, Photographer: Warwick Baker. Reproduced with permission of Sally Gray, the David McDiarmid Estate and Perimeter Books.