We've compiled a list of venues across Victoria – it's a rocker resource if you're on the hunt for a venue.
Want to be included in the venue database? Do your venue's details need updating? Fill out the Venue Database and Contact Information form to update your venue's details or to be added to the database.
Multi-Purpose Arts Spaces
- Abbotsford Convent, 1 St Heliers St, Abbotsford
Just four kilometres from Melbourne's CBD and spread over 16 acres, the Abbotsford Convent – with its 11 historic buildings and gardens – is Australia's largest multi-arts precinct. It is home to over 100 studios, two galleries, cafes, a radio station, a school, and an abundance of green open space.
- Chapel Off Chapel, 12 Little Chapel St, Prahran
The theatre venue consists of the 255-seat Chapel Theatre, the 150-seat Chapel Loft and a visual arts gallery.
- Footscray Community Arts Centre, 45 Moreland St, Footscray
Located on the banks of the Maribyrnong River and a short walk from the Footscray train station, FCAC has beautiful outdoor and indoor spaces for hire. With meeting rooms, rehearsal spaces, a large performance space and a bar available, as well as technical support, please contact us to discuss your venue hire needs.
Wheelchair accessible. Accessible cusomter supprt through the National Relay Services.
- fortyfivedownstairs, 45 Flinders Ln, Melbourne
A Melbourne based not-for-profit theatre and gallery showcasing independent visual art, theatre and music.
- Gasworks Arts Park, 21 Graham St, Albert Park
Boasting two theatres, three gallery spaces and a fully functioning bar, the building precinct provides a blank canvas for artists and event organisers.
All Gasworks venues are wheelchair accessible, and there is an accessible bathroom close to the Gasworks Main Theatre. Assisted listening cards available. Apply by Expression of Interest here.
- Kindred Studios Creative Spaces, 3 Harris St, Yarraville
A purpose built space for creatives in Yarraville, From musicians, photographers & designers to entrepreneurs and freelancers.
- Siteworks, 33 Saxon St, Brunswick
Siteworks at Saxon Street provides the community with a range of facilities within a former college and heritage-listed house, for skills sharing, ideas generation, workshops, project development, experimental teaching and technology-related development.
Partially wheelchair accessible.
- Testing Grounds, 1 City Rd, Southbank
Testing Grounds is a temporary space for creative practices encompassing art, performance and design. Programmed through an open application process that encourages interdisciplinary practice, experimentation and calculated risk, Testing Grounds is a place where people at all levels can test, develop and share their work. They encourage both creative and education-related activities.
Flexible architecture to encourage accessibility.
- The Substation, 1 Market St, Newport
- Artboy Gallery, 99 Greville St, Prahran
- Melbourne gallery showing urban, pop, photographic & lowbrow art.
- Blak Dot Gallery, 33 Saxon St, Brunswick
- A contemporary Indigenous-run art gallery & performance space showcasing modern & traditional artworks from world Indigenous cultures.
- BLINDSIDE, Level 7, Room 14, 37 Swanston St, Melbourne
An independent contemporary arts space supporting and promoting art across a range of media.
- Brunswick Arts Space, 15A Union St, Brunswick
Not-for-profit, artist-run space in the inner northern suburbs of Melbourne, gallery
- Brunswick St Gallery, 322 Brunswick St, Fitzroy
The gallery specialises in works from young and emerging artists from across Australia and internationally.
- Brunswick Studios, 4-6 Ballarat St, Brunswick
New creative exhibition spaces for lease in the heart of Brunswick.
- Incinerator Gallery, 180 Holmes Rd, Moonee Ponds
The Incinerator Gallery is the City of Monnee Valley's centre for visual arts. It hosts a program of curated exhibitions, art courses and public programs.
- Louis Joel Arts and Community Centre, 5 Sargood St, Altona
The Joel Gallery, in the Louis Joel Arts & Community Centre, is a contemporary exhibition space designed to provide a quality yet affordable opportunity for professional and emerging artists.
Flexible architecture, wheelchair accessible, easy public transport and car access, magnificent beach views...
- No Vacancy Gallery, 34-40 Jane Bell Lane, Melbourne
A Melbourne-based contemporary hire-gallery that provides a link between artist run initiatives and the commercial art world.
- Trocadero Artspace, Level 1, 119 Hopkins Street, Footscray
Trocadero Artspace has been operating in Footscray for 13 years and is the premier ARI (artist run imitative) and not for profit in the west. Trocadero offers four unique spaces for exhibition including a large main gallery, a secondary white cube gallery space in addition to an experimental performance or mixed media practice space Nooky and a semiannual space- WALLSPACE. Trocadero's focus is to exhibit activated and exciting works, from contemporary practices.
Details on how to apply to exhibit at Trocadero can be found on Trocadero Artspace’s Proposals Page: www.trocaderoartspace.com.au/proposals
- Wyndham Art Gallery (Cultural Centre), 177 Watton St, Werribee
Wyndham Cultural Centre is proudly owned and managed by Wyndham City Council. It consists of the 477 seat Tattersall's Theatre, with full fly tower and orchestra pit, the CBD Library, art gallery and cafe.
Has facilities to enable use by all the community and people of all abilities. Ramps, wide doors, removable theatre seats and hearing assistance are just some of the features. If you require seating to suit wheelchairs then please ensure you let the box office know when booking.
- Alex Theatre St Kilda, Level 1, 135 Fitzroy Street, St Kilda
Arts venue with 3 auditoriums, for plays, musicals, ballet and solo shows.
Disabled seating (upon prior application), Wheelchair access (via lift)
- Arts Centre Melbourne, 100 St Kilda Rd, Melbourne
Australia's largest performing arts venue, exhibits theatre to music to art.
Wheelchair access, assisted listening devices, braille in lifts
- Bluestone Church Arts Space, 8A Hyde St, Footscray
The Bluestone Church Arts Space (80 seated; 100 standing) is available for hire for: creative workshops and exhibitions; rehearsals and performances; residencies and artist development; presentations, awards and panel discussions related to the arts; and other artistic and cultural events.
Includes Ticket booth/kiosk; Portable theatre blacks; and PA System available for hire.
- Brunswick Mechanics Institute, 270 Sydney Rd, Brunswick
Suitable for theatre and related rehearsals to the theatre companies booked, some dance performances and yearly events.
- Dancehouse, 150 Princes St, Carlton North
Dancehouse is Australia's premier centre for independent dance. We are a site for developing challenging, invigorating and socially engaged moving art.
- Deakin Edge @ Fed Square , Federation square, 1 Flinders St, Melbourne
The Deakin Edge is a stunning glass theatre offering views across the Yarra River to the MCG + Alexandra Gardens.
Wheelchair access, hearing loops and Lift access.
- Hare Hole (Hares & Hyenas), 63 Johnston St, Fitzroy
Unique shop featuring books & CDs for the gay community, plus a cafe & creative performances.
Wheelchair access and AUSLAN interpreters for some events.
- Kingston Arts Centre, 979 Nepean Hwy, Moorabbin
Both Kingston Arts Centre and Kingston City Hall offer a variety of rooms for hire that can be adapted to your needs.
Wheelchair access, disabled toilet, baby changing area.
- La Mama: Courthouse, 349 Drummond St, Carlton and La Mama Theatre, 205 Faraday St, Carlton
La Mama Theatre is nationally and internationally acknowledged as a crucible for cutting edge, contemporary theatre since 1967.
La Mama Theatre has also been using the nearby former courthouse as a theatre space for twenty years.
- Meat Market, 5 Blackwood St, Melbourne
Meat Market is an iconic heritage listed building in North Melbourne featuring original cobblestone floors, period fretwork, stone arches and a captivating barrel ceiling. With five dedicated spaces available for hire, Meat Market is a hub for creative arts and cultural productions.
Wheelchair access but no disabled access toilets.
- Melbourne Recital Centre, 31 Sturt St, Southbank
Melbourne Recital Centre is a world-class venue for music performance.
- Northcote Social Club, 301 High St, Northcote
Hip, laid-back joint with regular live bands & a spacious deck offering updated pub eats & beer.
Wheelchair access via the middle door on High St.
- Northcote Town Hall, 189 High St, Northcote
Northcote Town Hall is an arts centre located on High Street in Northcote.
Darebin Arts offers a number of presentation and development opportunities through their Speakeasy program. Applications for 2019 opportunities close Sunday 17 June. Apply here.
Wheelchair access, disabled toilets, disabled parking and hearing assistance.
- Speakeasy HQ, 522 Flinders St, Melbourne
The Home of Vaudeville! Vaudeville means short performances with a variety program.
- Temperance Hall, 199 Napier St, South Melbourne
Temperance Hall in South Melbourne, supports experimental and risk-taking contemporary arts practice, we are leading advocates for LGBTIQA+ artists and producers. Company in residence, Phillip Adams BalletLab curate, collaborate within and program the space.
Main Hall: wheelchair accessible. Upstairs Studio: Not wheelchair accessible.
Please contact BalletLab via [email protected] to arrange an appointment.
- The MC Showroom, 1/48 Clifton St, Prahran
The MC Showroom is a purpose-built black box theatre in the heart of Prahran and the popular Chapel Street precinct. With a smart layout and acoustically well-balanced design, it offers numerous possibilities, be it musicals, stage plays, cabaret performances, creative workshops, drama classes and rehearsals to name a few.
- The Melba Spiegeltent, 35 Johnston St, Collingwood
The Melba Spiegeltent venue brings people together for festivals, rehearsals, shows, arts and community events & private hire.
- Theatre Works, 14 Acland St, St Kilda
Theatre Works is a theatre company located in the heart of St. Kilda, Melbourne. For Midsumma Festival 2018, Theatre Works will be accepting Expressions of Interest from all performance genres and events (including sports). Theatre Works provides the venue, a fun environment for a drink and hanging out, as well as ticketing, a standard lighting rig, FOH staff and website/social media support. Theatre Works will take a percentage of box office to cover expenses. Event producers provide the show, their own marketing/publicity grist and a fee to cover tech, FOH labour and utilities.
- Vau d'vile Drag Cabaret, Ground Floor, 62-70 Johnston St, Fitzroy
Performance space that showcases drag talent. Two spaces available - House of Love Bar with small stage and bar, 2 x hand held mics/stands, standard lighting rig + seating. Vau d'vile Show room with large stage 100 seated, lighting rig, 2 x hand held mics/stands access to bar.
Wheelchair access. Late Night (on premises) licence
Function Centres and Bars
- 28 Skybar Lounge, 8 Whiteman St, Southbank
Melbourne's highest and most exclusive address, 28 Skybar Lounge showcases jaw-dropping views over the city skyline complemented by the five metre floor-to-ceiling glass façade.
Children (under 18 years of age) are only permitted in 28 Skybar Lounge before 9pm in the company of a parent, guardian or responsible adult (not permitted after 9pm).
- Carlton Club, 193 Bourke St, Melbourne
Flashy cocktail bar with a psychedelic colour scheme and quirky animal decor, plus a gastropub menu.
- Chasers Nightclub, 386 Chapel St, South Yarra
Luxe nightclub with plush, retro decor, plus multiple dance floors with mirror balls and lasers.
- DT's Pub, 164 Church St, Richmond
Unpretentious gay hot spot with quirky decor and a beer garden, hosting drag and karaoke nights.
- Evie's Disco Diner, 230 Gertrude St, Fitzroy
We are an 80's inspired retrowave diner! Serving vegan friendly American-inspired food everyone can enjoy. Fitted out to host all kinds of exciting events - from speed dating, to networking drinks, to dance parties and more! Capacity 180 - 220 depending on the kind of event. Downstairs: dancefloor with booth seating surrounding. Upstairs: balcony with booth seats. Two bars, DJ booth projector, microphones available, arcade games, smoke machine, several lights and optional staging.
Wheelchair accessible other than the balcony, gender neutral toilets, quiet outside space, gluten free & dairy free options, braille menu coming soon. licensed until 1am Thu - Sat, and 11pm Sun, Tue & Wed.
- Francesca's Bar, 222 High St, Northcote
Hip bar with exposed-brick walls and vintage furniture, offering DJ nights and top-shelf drinks.
- Geddes Lounge, Geddes Ln, Melbourne
Geddes rooftop bar re-opens after being newly renovated. Open every Friday for great food + drink specials.
- Greenwood Loft, Level 1/247 Gertrude St, Fitzroy
Gay owned and operated, Greenwood Loft is a hidden gem in the heart of Fitzroy. Presenting a talented line up of DJs spinning the best of Deep house, disco and anthems, ready to make your night one to remember. Whether you want to dance the night away or relax with some friends, Greenwood Loft has everything you need to mix your perfect night out.
Licensed to 4am.
- Handsome Her, 206 Sydney Rd, Brunswick
Handsome Her is a cafe built with the community rather than for it.
- Laird Hotel, 149 Gipps St, Abbotsford
The Laird, Melbourne, is one of Australia’s longest running gay-owned and operated venues. Formerly known as "Melbourne's only bear and leather bar", The Laird has progressed over the years to become a haven, meeting place and party space for same-sex attracted CIS and Trans males.
- LOOP Project Space & Bar, 23 Meyers Place, Melbourne
We our a safe, supportive and inclusive independent arts space with two state of the art cinema screens, void surround sound system, full DJ/VJ kits and theatre for performances.
Fully accessible ground floor venue with disabled toilets.
- Lounge, 1/243 Swanston St
- Love Machine, 228A Malvern Rd, Prahran
R&B and house music over 3 floors of a flashy nightclub with a funky, contemporary setup and 2 bars.
- Sircuit, 103 Smith St, Fitzroy
Sircuit is Free Entry (except for special events). What We Love... people we welcome love, the love! No aggression, no nasty behavior and certainly no judgement. Getting there: tram 86 Stop #15, Taxi, Uber, mates car or a pleasant walk.
- The 86, 185 Smith St, Fitzroy
The Northside's queer owned and operated little cabaret venue.
Contact Anthony at [email protected] for more info.
- The Gasometer Hotel, 484 Smith St, Collingwood
Whether it's a banquet menu for a special occasion in the Dining Room or private function in the beautiful upstairs hideaway, The Gasometer Hotel has you covered.
- The Grace Darling Hotel, 14 Smith St, Collingwood
The venue now consists of a restaurant, public bar, and two band rooms available for private functions.
- Vau d'vile, 62-70 Johnston St, Fitzroy
Vau d’vile is available to hire for your corporate function or special occasion. We can tailor our three course dinner, show and dancing to suit your needs on any day of the week, we can also do lunch. Need costumes, hair or makeup for your external event or special occasion we can help.
- Victoria Star Cruises, Dock 9, Central Pier, Docklands
Victoria Star is one of the largest and most popular party boats in Melbourne. She has been part of our great city’s identity since 1999. Over this time Victoria Star has developed high standards well recognised in the industry and enjoyed by hundreds of happy clients and their guests.
Wheelchair access once on board if the wheelchair and occupant can be carried on board.
- Wet On Wellington, 162 Wellington St, Collingwood
Community Hubs and Libraries
- Altona Library, 123 Queen St, Altona
Altona library features seven community language collections and a large meeting room for hire.
Home delivery for the disabled/ill, wheelchair access and parking.
- Altona North Community Library, Corner Millers and McArthurs Roads, Altona North
Altona North CL contains community language collections and meeting exhibition spaces for hire.
Disabled parking/toilet access and wheelchair access & parking.
- Bargoonga Nganjin North Fizroy Library, 182/186 St Georges Rd, North Fitzroy
- Brimbank Community and Civic Centre, 301 Hampshire Rd, Sunshine
The community centre features a library with computer access, conference rooms, holiday programs and more
Wheelchair access and parking spaces available
- City Library, 253 Flinders Lane, Melbourne
The library has become a major destination and meeting place for residents, workers, students and visitors.
- Donkey Wheel House, 673 Bourke St, Melbourne
Located in Melbourne's home for social impact, Donkey Wheel House Events is where people do business differently. Range of small spaces available.
- Fitzroy Town Hall, 201 Napier St, Fitzroy
The Fitzroy Town Hall was rejuvenated to its former glory in 2007. Heritage areas were sympathetically restored, while modern improvements were added including a lift, commercial kitchen, and heating and cooling. This stunning venue is suited to many different types of events including cocktail parties, balls and formal dinners.
Wheelchair accessible, tactile floor indicators, disabled parking and disability drop off zone.
- Footscray Library, 56 Paisley St, Footscray
Footscray Library offers you a vibrant and well-loved space which is very popular with locals and visitors alike.
Wheelchair access and wheelchair recharging available.
- Frankston Library, 60 Playne St, Frankston
Frankston City Library offers membership with access to a wide range of popular and bestselling books, newspapers and more.
Wheelchair access, disabled toilet and disabled parking.
- Library at the Dock, 107 Victoria Harbour Promenade, Docklands
Library at The Dock, one of our six public libraries and one of four community hubs in the City of Melbourne, is the civic heart of Docklands. It offers traditional and digital catalogues, free wi-fi, a range of unique events and multipurpose rooms for hire.
- Newport Community Hub/Library, 13/15 Mason St, Newport
Newport Community Hub will be a multi-use facility for seniors, youth and library services.
- Northcote Library, 32-38 Separation St, Northcote
Local Northcote library that offers books, ebooks, memberships, computer/internet access and meeting rooms.
- South Melbourne Town Hall, Fishley St, South Melbourne
400 theatre style, 300 banquet style (no dancefloor), 250 banquet style (with dance floor). There are times when the South Melbourne Town Hall is unavailable since the Australian National Academy of Music operates out of this venue.
- St Kilda Town Hall, 99A Carlisle St, St Kilda
St Kilda Town Hall has 8 rooms available for hire to be used as meeting rooms or in conjunction with the auditorium.